Friday, September 6, 2024

Chapter 1

 Hello twins.

The following is in response to an article about incorporating math history into the classroom.

Most people likely see mathematics and history as being distinct unrelated subjects. I find it intriguing to consider how one might blend these two elements together. One approach I have used with my students is looking into the people whose names frequent our textbooks such as Fermat, Euler, and Fibonacci. I have had positive reactions from students who are curious to learn more about the person behind these famous results. I could apply this approach to other aspects by exploring how modern math concepts have evolved over time.  

One initial reaction is that providing the history behind different math topics can deepen student understanding and foster an appreciation for the subject. Often times the ideas in mathematics are presented to us as finished products and I would be curious to know more about the process which led to that result. I am aware that mathematical proofs are presented in higher level mathematics but I believe one can go beyond this. Exploring the motivation or phenomena behind certain topics can provide purpose and direction to the classroom. This could be a welcome change to the current practice where concepts often appear out of nowhere with no backstory. In another class, I recently learned about the relational versus instrumental approaches to teaching and understanding mathematics. Providing the backstory behind math concepts is aligned with the relational perspective and could help to enrich the student experience. Math textbooks are full of precise results that students simply take at face value and apply to their work. I agree that having small excerpts sprinkled throughout the textbook which describe the history behind these findings could improve the reader's engagement with the text. Mathematics can often come across as an exact subject that requires perfection with no room for mistakes. I know from personal experience that this slim margin for error puts pressure on you as a student. Integrating changes in perspectives, revisions of initial assumptions and other errors could prove to be beneficial. By showing that making mistakes and having doubts is a major part of the discipline, one can help put their students at ease.

Reading this article has sparked my curiosity for ways to incorporate math history into my future classroom. One immediate idea is to have students research and create posters for famous mathematicians, who they were and what they contributed to the field. I believe students could find something personally interesting while investigating such a unique group of individuals. Another option that stood out is exploring famous unsolved problems in mathematics or those with no solution. There is something captivating about an unsolved problem that could be interesting to explore together as a class.

Thanks for reading,

Josh

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic post, Josh! I like how you made the connection to the idea of instrumental vs. relational understanding from EDCP 342. Also, your comment that math is perceived as requiring perfection resonates with me. Showing students that “making mistakes and having doubts is a major part of the discipline” is definitely important!

    I actually did a digital poster project on famous mathematicians in Math 8 during my practicum and several times when I taught in Burnaby. It’s an idea inspired by Susan when I was in the teacher ed program. I should be able to find my project handout and share it with the class!

    ReplyDelete