Hello twins.
The following is in response to two short articles on the ways we measure time, as well as my own perspective on viewing time.
During the speculative phase on the base 60 system, I proposed that the number of convenient factors and divisibility into halves, thirds and quarters were key reasons. It is unsatisfying to discover there is no definitive consensus on the reason why. The theory I found most interesting was regarding the Sumerians being the result of a base 12 civilization joining a base 5 civilization. There is something poetic about two societies combining their numerical systems to create a potentially more effective system. During reflection, I also considered that there must be a number smaller than 60 with similar desirable properties. Another takeaway was how impressive it was to create a system for all numbers using only two symbols. It is difficult to imagine the challenges they must have faced with inventing their own numerical system.
I was surprised to learn about seasonally varying hours although it makes intuitive sense. Time has become so precise today that to know a time system existed with such variance is suprising. I cannot imagine being the first generation to explore time and what life was like before time was understood. Time is often considered our most valuable resource in life and measuring time has a profound impact on how we conduct our lives. I personally see years as a sort of slide show consisting of 4 equally divided quarters. It starts in January and ends in December with 3 months for each season. Unfortunately, Vancouver's seasonal schedule is completely misaligned with this way of thinking. I prioritize months over seasons since important schedules are often tied to months rather than seasons. I valued hearing the perspectives of my classmates as it was something I hadn't previously given much thought.
Thanks for reading,
Josh
Thoughtful response, Josh! It is indeed fascinating that two societies combined their numerical systems to create something potentially more effective. Nowadays, especially with globalization, I imagine we'll find more examples in our daily lives if we dig deeper and question how things are done.
ReplyDeleteYour comment, "It is unsatisfying to discover there is no definitive consensus on the reason why," caught my attention. I hope more of our students develop this curiosity and earnest interest in finding a satisfying explanation. It will be an ongoing challenge for us math educators!