Hello twins.
The following is a reflection on my art history project on Hypatia of Alexandria.
I was really glad with the topic I had chosen for this presentation. I wanted to cover a female mathematician and enjoyed researching Hypatia's colourful life. From the start, I knew the sort of project that would work best as artwork. The portrait using ellipses was a laborious endeavour just due to the sheer size of the file. Reaching 1800 equations in geogebra was very challenging for my computer and I had lots of setbacks with my project lagging and not saving properly. But I persevered to the finish line because I was convinced it'd be worth finishing. I was happy with how the finished project turned out and it received a positive reaction during my presentation. During my presentation, I gave a quick overview of the major events in Hypatia's life without emphasizing her infamous demise. I was glad to find out that she had been a teacher as well and some of the principles she instilled in her "classrooms". I would like to explore more about other women in ancient academia and their stories from different parts of the world.
Thanks for reading,
Josh
What a beautiful and impressive project, Josh! I'm very glad to have the focus on a women mathematician, and Hypatia is a fascinating choice. Your artwork is so beautiful!
ReplyDelete