Hello twins.
The following is a response to an article on Ancient Egyptian surveying and its relevance to the Tomb of Menna wall painting discussed in class.
My first question is how the Ancient Egyptians approached calculating the circumference of the Earth. I understand that celestial observation played a key role, such as using the height of the sun. I find it fascinating that they were curious enough to attempt such a feat and want to know more about how they achieved such accuracy in their measurements.
Another question I have is about how they established horizontal planes. For example, when hanging a picture frame, I often use a level to ensure it's not slanted. I'm curious if they had a tool similar to the modern level that achieved comparable results.
One aspect that never fails to amaze me is how the Egyptians built such grand pyramids and temples that still stand today. Considering the scale of these projects and the time period in which they were completed, it truly a magnificent feat of human engineering. It would be an incredibly challenging project to attempt even today, and the fact that they were successful thousands of years ago leaves me utterly speechless.
Thanks for reading,
Josh
Interesting questions, Josh! I am also fascinated by how the ancient Egyptians built such remarkable structures with their limited tools and measurement system.
ReplyDeleteThis isn't relevant to your post, but your question in class about x reminded me of the "Why is x the unknown?" TED talk. Here it is in case you haven't seen it: https://erica44224.blogspot.com/2024/09/why-is-x-unknown.html