Hello twins.
The following is a response to our in-class discussion on the use of word problems in mathematics education.
To increase student engagement, I would personalize word problems by incorporating topics relevant to their interests, such as social media or video games with quantitative aspects. Another approach discussed in class was using more visual mediums to bring word problems to life, such as interactive videos or physical props.
I'm also interested in exploring the storytelling aspect of word problems. I've had success with a TED playlist called "Think Like a Coder," where students watched an animated series centred around solving coding problems. Creating engaging storylines with plots, characters, and other narrative elements could make word problems more captivating.
Furthermore, there are untapped opportunities to integrate collaboration into word problems. For example, having students work in teams to tackle complex problems, similar to escape rooms where groups solve multi-step challenges together. Lastly, I believe students could find it engaging to explore ancient math word problems, like those we examined in class. I found these incredibly engaging and hope students would share my enthusiasm.
Thanks for reading,
Josh
Thanks Josh! I'll have to look up the "Think Like a Coder" playlist now!
ReplyDelete